Here’s the review of one of the better plans collections on the internet.
MyBoatPlans is a comprehensive collection of 518 boat building plans, 40 videos and about 500 pages of boat building guides. I’ve just bought the entire package and this is my review on the product:
What Is MyBoatPlans?
The product offers step by step blueprints on over 518 boats and video lessons on boat building. The creator, Martin Reid offers a simple, efficient and user-friendly system to construct any type of boats in a simple way.
MyBoatPlans shows the user how to build over 500 different types of boats ranging from simple canoes and kayaks to complex designs like a cabin cruiser.
The Pros of MyBoatPlans
Below are some of the points I was really impressed with:
A Huge Range of Plans To Choose From
Sailboats, skiffs, canoes, kayaks, houseboats, paddle boats, yachts, catamarans, flat-bottom boats, dinghys and dories, to name a few.
There are multiple plans available for each kind of boat, so you have some variety to choose from.
The video section is comprehensive
The 45+ videos on boat building leaves no stone unturned. It consists of the entire boat building process from conception to the final product.
It is great for beginners who want an easy to follow video guide on boat construction. There are also videos on boat repair and boat design calculations which are great for professional builders.
Great bonuses included
The bonuses you get with this product are great. You get a FREE boat designing software, a book on boat construction tips and the boat-builders handbook which is huge in and of itself.
Full Color Pictures
I appreciated the amount of full color pictures and diagrams that are included in the manuals. I’m a very visual person, so it is easier for me to follow a picture or diagram instead of reading paragraphs.
Money Back Policy
The 60 day money back guarantee is always appreciated. I like seeing a merchant who stands behind their product 100%. It puts the consumer at ease, knowing that they aren’t going to lose a cent if they choose to not use the system.
The Cons of MyBoatPlans
It takes a while to download
Due to the huge amount of content available, there is about 900 megabytes to download. This may take a while if you have a slow connection. However you can opt for the DVD edition in the members area so that solves the issue if you’re on a slow network
Less than 20 mega yacht designs
I would like to see more mega yacht designs and plans. This would be great for professional boat builders like me who are interested in mega yacht designs.
MyBoatPlans is a great collection anyway you look at it. It is suitable for beginners as well as seasoned builders alike. It offer great value for money considering the one-time price you pay for such an extensive system.
Boat Building Plans – Here Are Some of the Boat Plans You’ll Get
4 Boat Building Plans for Sailboats Including:
- Bannock – Versatile Craft; Sail, paddle, or use a small outboard motor
- Biloxi Moon – Easy to build; Smart starter sailboat
- Breeze-Baby – 16-foot cruising sailboat that can be built on a low budget
- Cat’s Paw – 12-foot sailboat that planes with only one person aboard
- Crescent – Very forgiving 12-foot sailboat that is easy to build
- Dart – Fast 13-foot sailboat ideal for protected waterways
- Falcon – 14-foot frisky centerboard sailboat; Seats 4 and great design
- Graifen Ten – Ideal for learning the basics of sailing but fun for all
- Gypsy – 24-foot sailboat with a 9’2″ beam; 6,000 pound displacement
- Hobby Kat – Fast catamaran that can reach speeds up to 20 mph
- Jamaican – Fun fiberglass sailboat
- Manu – 20-foot sailboat with speeds up to 30mph
- Missile – Small, 19-foot racing sailboat with a 50-inch beam
- Pet rel – 16-foot sailboat; Can be built a daysailer or an overnighter
- Sea Mite – 10-foot sailboat with an inverted V-bottom
- Southwind – 22-foot dory-sharpie; Capable of moderate speeds
- Star-Lite – 27.5-foot sailboat with a private head and working galley
- Tabu – 18-foot, sport sailor; Rides over the water surface
- Tern – 72 square feet of sails; Let nature foot the power bill with this one
- Zephyr – 14-foot international dinghy class sailboat; Good in rough water
- And many more…
46 Rowboats, Canoes, and Kayaks Including:
- Anyone’s Rowboat – Easy 12-16-foot rowboat
- Blue Bill Kayak/Canoe – 13 foot kayak and canoe combo
- Can’t Sink Dinghy – Just try to sink this great little 9.5-foot dinghy
- Canvasback Kayak – Great little kayak
- Car Top Boat – Fun, lightweight rowboat
- Cheap Canoe – 13-foot canoe
- Chessy Rowboat – 15-foot skiff; Row or use an outboard
- Cork Fishing Auto Topper – 9-foot, 52 lbs rowboat
- Folding Kayak – Folds like a book; Can be carried on the roof of your car
- Glide Easy Canoe – 15-foot plywood canoe
- Handy Andy Rowboat – 10-foot folding boat
- Hunting Kayak – Shallow, draft 2-seater
- Jolly Roger Boat – Small rowboat; Great project for the young guys
- Jon Boat – Flat-bottom scow; Great for fishing in shallows with weeds
- Junior Dinghy – All purpose rowboat; Easy to build
- General Kayak – Folding kayak
- King Canvasback – Lightweight kayak
- King Fisher – 9-foot pram boat
- Little Chief Canoe – Easy to build, large canoe
- Multi Use Skiff – 13-foot, 9 -inch rowboat
- Northwind Kayak Boat – Flat-bottom, cruising kayak; 19-foot
- Pedal Cat Water Bike – Cruising water bike; Very cool!
- Pintail Duck Boat – Lightweight duck boat
- Plyak – Small, plywood kayak
- Pod – 15-foot rowboat
- Redwood Canoe – 16-foot, 74lb canoe
- Row and Sail Dory – Rowboat that you can sail
- Sea Skiff – 13-foot, 9-inch boat that can be rowed or use a motor
- Sea Midge – Small, 3-way pram
- Sneak Box Duck Boat – 12-foot, historic duck boat
- And Many More…
36 Runabout Outboard Boats Including:
- Ace 2-Seater – Speedy runabout for towing water skiers
- All Purpose Portable Boat – Inexpensive, easy to build, and safe
- Banta 12-Footer – Lightweight, utility boat with easy handling
- Bebop Kid’s 8-Footer – Costs almost nothing to build
- Blitzen – Speedy outboard runabout for Class B racing
- Blue Streak – Prop riding on her hydro-conic bottom; Great racer
- Buzz – Lightweight hydroplane adapted to car top carrying
- Cobra 15-Footer – Fin-tailed outboard runabout
- DragonFly II – Super fast yet very stable hydroplane
- Firefly – Speedy hydroplane; Guaranteed fun
- Flying Fisherman – Fast outboard utility; Easy drive hull and 11.5-feet
- Jumping Jack – General purpose small outboard
- And many more.
12 Paddle Wheel Boats Including:
- Bicycle Pedal Boat – Consists of two pontoons and an old bicycle frame
- Foot Pedal Catamaran – Paddle across the lake in this fun catamaran
- Kid’s Paddle Pusher – Sturdy and easily build; Great for young captains
- Marty Paddle – Colorful appearance and pedal operated
- Paddle Wheel Bass Boat – Great for fishing in hard to reach spots
- And many more.
7 Runabout Inboard Boats Including:
- Churn 15-Footer – Speedy inboard runabout
- Large Sea Skiff – 17-foot, Seabright skiff
- Nancy Jane 19-Footer – All purpose craft for a variety of uses
- Panther 15-Footer – High-speed inboard runabout
- Riveria 17-Footer – 17-foot luxury boat designed for ski towing
- Sea Scout 14-Footer – Single cockpit inboard runabout
- Small Inboard Boat – Small inboard; Perfect for the kids
9 Novelty Boats Including:
- Battle Surfboards – Small craft with shoot balls made of cork
- Cold Lightening – 100mph Skeeter class iceboat
- Corky – Non-sinkable vessel that’s great for the kids; A quick build
- Floating Swimming Boat – A floating platform great for the whole family
- Motorized Surfboard – The name says it all
- Pontune – Great pontoon family boat for parties, fishing, swimming, etc.
- Sport Submarine – Great boat for underwater explorations
- The Thing – Unconventional looking boat. just check out the plans.
- Whizz – Slick looking ice yacht
5 House Boats Including:
- Bayou Belle – 25-foot, 8-inch scow that can be built as a houseboat
- Budget Houseboat – Like a camper that goes on the water
- Float a Home – Luxurious 21-footer that is very stable
- Parti-O Boat – About 20-feet long and easy to build
- Platform Boat – You can build any type of floating fun on top of it
12 Cabin Cruiser Boats Including:
- Caballero – Designed for the amateur builder; Roomy and fast
- Dolphin – 16-foot boat designed for use with a trailer
- Eager Eve – 18-foot, fast luxury boat
- Flight – Speedy outboard runabout cruiser
- HaPenny – Small V-bottom express cruiser
- Sea Angler – 20-foot cruiser of the deep; V-hull
- Sea Babe – 15-foot cruising comfort and speed in one package
- Sea Craft – 25-foot cruiser ideal for large lakes and rivers
- Sea Hawk – 12-foot outboard cabin cruiser perfect for overnight trips
- Sportsman – 18-foot day cruiser great for day cruising and short trips
- Sunfish – Unconventional looking cruiser and weighs only 375 lbs
- Sunapee – Sturdy 22-foot cruiser for the experience boat builder
19 Hydroplanes Including:
- Air Marine Special – Class F hydroplane; Not for the faint of heart
- Atomite – 9.5-foot hydroplane; Fast and furious
- Banshee – Z-Class racing runabout; Will do about 45mph
- Cab Over Hydro – 3-point hydroplane with speeds up to 75mph
- Dingbat – 8-foot water scooter; Can be built in a day
- Doodle Bug – Trim, single-cockpit outboard
- Dragonfly – 10-foot hydroplane adapted to all classes of outboard motor
- EL CTD – Sport boat that you can build in days for very little money
- Flyer – Gives maximum speed under normal competitive conditions
- And many more.